Thursday 17 September 2009

Paraty

Paraty

Paraty lies around 230km south of Rio, on the coast of the Costa Verde, which meant that I travelled for 27 hours by coach from Iguazu – this time it wasn't easy! Firstly I crossed the border into Brazil, getting documents stamped, and changing several buses, before I made it to the bus station...niavely expecting the same kind of quality I had travelled on up on through Argentina – not the case! It was pretty basic, and I was definitely the only gringo on the packed (freezing) coach - something else I learnt that night was that Brazilian coach drivers always have the air con on max...so whilst the Brazilians around me wrapped up in blankets and sleeping bags, I sat and froze in my combats and t-shirt!

We travelled through the night, and well into the next morning, moving north, before I was deposited somewhere in the middle of nowhere – One of the really noticeable things about Brazil, as a tourist at least, is that they, of course, speak Portugese, little Spanish and literally no English – I've never really come across that before on my travels – certainly not in Argetina - and it has been pretty embarrasing floundering away, trying to describe or ask for the most basic of things – such as 'where does this bus go...?' On the plus side, you learn quickly! Two further bus changes, and 27 hours later I arrived in Paraty. Dazed and confused.

The following morning I learnt that Paraty is beautiful – UNESCO considers the town one of the worlds most important examples of Portugese colonial architecture, and it has been named a national monument. I'm not sure the pictures capture it, but Paraty's centre is a maze of narrow, cobbled streets bordered by limewashed houses built around courtyards. It's truly lovely. Besides, the centre Partaty is known for its 200 beaches, and the 65 islands that surround it – I spent just about all of my 5 days there, with a couple of English girls I met at the hostel, wandering through the town and to a small beach – to read, kayak and eat (the national dish) of freshly caught fish, rice and beans. That will be abiding memory of Paraty – along with the weekend festival, and playing football with the local lads.
















No comments:

Post a Comment