Wednesday 19 August 2009

Buenos Aires - La Boca





















'Buy the ticket, take the ride.'

Dr Hunter S. Thompson


So, I'll start this by declaring my hangover – sorry mum! So daunted was I by being out here, the other side of the world, and not knowing anyone, that I decided to party with the rest of the hostel...this despite having not slept for 48hrs. The first thing I learnt was that a large beer (they drink Quilmes here) is 80p - It was good fun, and I met people – so, as I sit here writing this I feel a lot more relaxed, and ready to take on the world than I did when I first wandered in.

Yesterday, my first full day travelling, I went on a walking tour of La Boca, a neighborhood, or barrio of Buenos Aires. Like the rest of BA, Boca feels very European – we were told that many of its early settlers were originally from Genoa, and that the area is so called as it sits at the mouth ("boca") of the Riacheulo.

La Boca is fantastic and very beautiful – it feels very alive - with its colourful houses – apparently the rich of BA used to paint their boats as colourfully as possible, and that when they had finished with the paint the poor of Boca would pinch what remained and paint what they could of their homes.

La Boca is also known for the 'Caminito' – the street where Tango artists perform, Boca Juniors and bbq's – 20 odd of us ate a traditional Argentine bbq in a beautiful court yard (steak, chorizo sausage and wine, in the sun for lunch!), and then walked to La Bombonera, home of Boca Juniors. We did the tour of the stadium and I've booked tickets to see a game on Thursday – which should be pretty phenonomal – the stadium only holds 35,000, but the atmosphere in there is bonkers. Out here Diego Maradona is literally a God among men – and there are pictures and mock statues of him everywhere.

The weather – well its winter now, but it feels like Spring in England, quite crisp, but very warm in the sun. If it stays the same tomorrow, I'd quite like to go on another tour - the street art of Buenos Aires - its everywhere and, like the city, very creative and vibrant. We'll see...

I'm knackered. I never thought I'd sleep in a bunk bed again...btw, as I sit here writing I'm watching Liverpool beat Stoke, (GGGGOOOOOOOOOOALLLLL TORRRRRRRRES!!!!) and Utd lose to Burnley. Life is pretty good as it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Dude

    Sounds amazing. Pictures are awesome. It's gonna be a journey of a lifetime. Motorcycle diaries and all that. Keep safe and trust life will show all of it too you along the way. The good, the bad, the joy, the loss, the light, the dark. The Big Oneness.

    Live it. Love it. And open yourself to the possibility that you are part of the divine manifestation on earth.

    As Damian Marley says, "Life is a ting, when you learn you grow."

    Yes sir.

    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tombo, looks fabulous, you must be in your element! Flippin' hell mate, £1.50 for a bottle of Malbec - I'd be in heaven! Have a fab time, keep posting we're all checking it at work!
    Mrs H (Gorg)xxxx
    P.S.: Sorry to be a heathen to you as a steak lover, but that steak dinner looked ugh to me, it looked like it was still moo-ing! Yewwwwwh!!!

    ReplyDelete