Saturday 22 August 2009

Buenos Aires - the love affair continues




Five days and I have fallen in love - I was due to leave Buenos Aires two days ago – but I'll be here for a short while yet. I may never leave. It's not just me, everybody in the hostel has been here far longer than planned.


A couple of nights ago, a group of us travelled to La Boca, and saw Boca Juniors' first game of the season – I've seen a lot of football, and been to the biggest, noisiest, most religious nightclubs and festivals – but I can honestly say I have never been anywhere quite like La Bombonera – The football club is the identity of this poor part of BA, (even Coca-Cola advertise in black and white here as Boca's fierce rivals River Plate play in red and white), and for 3 ½ hours 40 odd thousand people sang, danced and bounced...in perfect rhythm...without stopping.


The day after I headed to San Telmo, which is a bohemian, artistic part of the city and wandered around the antique fairs and coffee shops – its also the part of the city that wears a lot of the cities street art – so I visited various walls, galleries and shops. I'm going back on Sunday, as they have the cities largest food and antiques market.


I also visited Recoleta – north of the city centre and famously the resting place of Argentina's leading celebrities, including Evita. It's an unbelivable place – the money that has been spent not just on the tombs (that are open so you can see the coffins), but on renting the space is incredible. Last night we visited an all you can eat steak house on the outskirts of BA...for 45 Pesos (£10) we ate and drank like kings...again, I have never had steak like it...and the bottle of Malbec at 9 Pesos (£1.50) was phenonomal. Finally, for this entry, the nightclubs are great here – they start at 2am and close at around 9am...so, basically I'm loving it out here, and will be sorry to leave on Monday when I head to Iguazu on the Brazilian border.


">">

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a wonderful start to your travels, it all sounds absolutely fantastic, lucky fellow. The footie sounds a blast. Arn't you glad you had the opportunity ? Where are the doubts now ?? Keep the blogs coming.
    love from us all - Mum xx

    ReplyDelete